Saturday, November 5, 2011

Life is precious

Yesterday I lost someone very special to me: my grandpa.

My family has known for awhile that his health was declining, but death is never easy, even when it's expected.

Actually, it came as somewhat of a shock to me on a day that was otherwise typical and ordinary. I got a call from my mom at the end of the work day He was admitted to the hospital due to poor health and the doctors thought that it was probably time for the family to gather to say goodbye. A couple short hours later, he had passed.

We called him "Pappy,"  and he has always been a fun-loving kind of guy, even mischievous at times. He was always making jokes and, even though he had diabetes, I would always catch him sneaking ice cream when my grandma wasn't watching. Maybe that's where I inherited my sweet tooth.

One of the things I was worried about over the past year as his health continued to decline even more was that he might never meet my son. He lived in Ohio, so I saw him only on the holidays when the whole family would get together. He met my daughter on her first Thanksgiving, but since our move to Tennessee, my son had been born and he hadn't had the chance to meet him yet.

This past July, we made a stop in Ohio on the way to visit my husband's family and Pappy got to meet my son for the first time.


While both of my children are still too young to remember, I'm so glad that we made that trip so Pappy could hold both of his great grandchildren.

Even though I know you're in a better place, I'll miss you, Pappy.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

    That picture is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss, Jenn. I know how you feel about him meeting your kids. Even though they won't remember it outside of pictures, you'll remember it. My prayers are with you and your family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences on the loss of your very loved Grandpa. My God show you this is also a great time for all those happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandpa. He sounds like he was a wonderful person. Now he is with God and he will now watch over you and your family, waiting for the day that you will be together again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss, Jen. Thinking about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss Jen, I lost my Grandad last year but knowing he met my children meant a lot to me too. Treasure your memories and you'll be in my thoughts x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails