Monday, February 21, 2011

Baby Glam: the Rockin' Necklace Tee



Fabric paint is so much fun to work with. You can do so much with it, no matter your skill level. Ever since I discovered fabric paint, I can't stop. And this may be my favorite thing to make yet. 

I came up with the Necklace Tee as a way to accessorize my little girl without the actual jewelry which, as you know, is not so safe for little ones who put EVERYTHING in their mouths. This project is quick and sewing-optional, which makes it great for a quick craft-fix - love those!

Supplies:
  • A plain t-shirt
  • Fabric paint (I prefer Tulip brand matte fabric paint)
  • Round objects of different sizes to use as a stamp - I used the end of a white crayon (use white so you don't mark your shirt), a marker cap, and the end of a Sharpie marker cap
  • Freezer paper or something to insert inside your shirt so the paint won't leak
  • Ribbon
  • Needle and coordinating threa

Step 1: Prepare your shirt for painting.

First, turn your shirt inside out and iron some freezer paper to the inside front of the shirt, shiny side down. This will help protect the shirt from any fabric paint that might leak through. If you don't have freezer paper, you could always just put a piece of cardboard or wax paper inside the shirt.

Step 2: Stamp your necklace on.

If you want, you can use a disappearing pen to mark where you will be stamping each necklace. I just decided to put aside my perfectionism for once and go for it. Choose one of your "stamps" (I started with the white crayon end) and dip the end into your fabric paint. Blot the extra off on a piece of paper so you don't goop it onto the shirt.

Begin at the top of one of the shoulders and stamp continuous circles side-by-side in the shape of a necklace along the neckline of the shirt. Make sure you blot the end of your stamp regularly so you don't end up with a big goopy pile of paint. If you do end up with too much, just take a Q-Tip and blot off the extra.


Use your different-sized stamps to continue making circles along the front of the shirt. Don't worry about making sure each circle is completely filled in. The inconsistencies and fading make the design look even better. You can make as few or as many rows as you want. You can also overlap the necklaces in some places to give them a "layered" look. You want variety in size and positioning of each necklace, so keep that in mind as you stamp.


 Continue until you feel like you're happy with the design.

At this point if you're happy with the shirt, or if you don't want to do any sewing, let the shirt dry overnight (or as long as the bottle says to). Then, remove freezer paper and wear! If you want to add a little something more though, pull out some ribbon, matching thread, and a needle.

Step 3: Add ribbon.

Cut 3 pieces of thin ribbon long enough to make small bows. If you want to make absolutely sure your ribbon doesn't fray, add some Fray Check to the ends. Tie a bow in each piece of ribbon, and hand stitch a few times through the middle of each bow to secure. Next, choose where on your shirt you would like to place the bows, and then stitch a few times through the bow and shirt to attach.



Voila! Instant baby glam cuteness for your little rockstar! I would love to see your versions if you make them!



For the little man in your life, GO HERE for a tutorial on how to make the little boy's Rockin Tie Tee!



Featured on:

Someday Crafts
Craft Gossip
One Pretty Thing
Tatertots and Jello

23 comments:

  1. Love this! I am definitely going to make one (or more) of these for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im seriously making one for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soooo adorable! Will be making this for sure!

    Heather
    whatitsallabout4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, email me with your versions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the details on how to make, i found this at one pretty thing. yours came out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, definitely going to do this for my grand kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is soooo cute! I'm thinking about making one of these for my daughter to wear at her 1st birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so so cute! My kids needs matching shirts! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! My daughter would love a shirt like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job! I have plans to make one of these this week for my daughter's birthday outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw you over at Someday Crafts and HAD to say how cute this is!! :)

    Come visit me over at my blog!

    http://www.craigslistqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute, that is definitely on my "To-attempt" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I teach a craft class in Manila, Philippines and had my students try out this T-shirt last week. Your version is much more beautiful but I still think they did a great job. I posted photos at http://Ilovecrafts-manila.blogspot.com and credited you in a link. Thank-you so much for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE IT!! I am so going to do this soon!! Glad I found your blog. Thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED your tutorial! I just made one myself (with your help! :D) and it came out great! Thanks so much for posting this :) Check it out if want to see! http://soisawthistutorial.blogspot.com/2011/05/painted-pearls-shirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so darling!!!! I don't have kids yet--but my friends do! Gotta try this!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this on Craftgossip. What an excellent idea ! It's so much safer to make a faux necklace for young children! I will definitely feature this tutorial on my blog later this year so others can come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable!
    www.craftingrebellion.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I featured this on my blog today :)
    www.craftingrebellion.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it...gonna make one for my "rock star" grand daughter for her birthday in January. Thanks for showing us the great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails